Labels

Friday 1 January 2016

SPINE CONSTRUCTION

To begin the construction of the spine of my digipak, I cropped an ordinary rectangle Photoshop document into a long middle thickness piece following the standard dimensions. I then inserted the logo of the artist which is a necessary and key convention of a spine as it informs the audience whose album it is when from a side profile.


I then coloured the main background space from white to navy blue, the exact same as on the back cover. To get the exact shade of blue I opened up the back cover of the digipak in Photoshop, then using the 'Colour Picker' I selected the background shade and copied over to the spine document, then filled it in using the 'Paint Bucket'.



I then began to insert the album and artist names, using the same font seen on the front cover and poster, to creating continuity and familiarity throughout all the products. I then added the catalogue number and originally the name of the record label. I asked my peers around  me and gained their opinion of my design so far, in which their response was to remove the record label name as it was necessary and over clustered the limited space.


I removed my record company name 'VAC RECORDS' and re-arranged the order of the text by positioning it more centrally along the document. Leaving equal spaces in-between the conventions the spine now looks more realistic and easy to read.

Here is the final design of my spine:




No comments:

Post a Comment