Labels

Friday 29 January 2016

BACK COVER CONSTRUCTION

For my back cover I wanted to create a more simplistic design as more text and information will be inserted, making the space more busy. Taken from the ancillary task photo shoot I chose my favourite picture, involving my actress Millie looking straight into the camera creating direct eye direct with the viewer. This will draw the viewer's attention onto the model where they will see her dramatically destroyed make-up and hair denoting stress and upset. I cropped the image into a standard square size after opening the document in Photoshop, then applied the 'Auto Tone', 'Auto Contrast' and 'Auto Colour' settings to balance out the lighting and colours. This increased the exposure of the image and made the colours more prominent as well as making the background navy blue alike the front cover.



I then inserted my artist logo and inverted it to white and placed in the top left hand corner by pressing Ctrl T and dragging it.  Taken from the internet I copied and pasted a barcode and rotated it into the bottom right hand corner as it fitted perfectly in this space without overlapping onto the main image. Thirdly I inserted text that would begin the track listing for the album using the font 'Orator Std'. I like this font as it reminds me of the letters found on a computer keyboard and a modern typewriting effect, fulfilling the electronic typography theme. For the track titles I gained inspiration from other indie artists, looking at their song names and copying the odd word and combining it with another. I wanted the names to represent depressive emotions similar to 'Regret', therefore I particularly looked at English folk rock musician, visual artist and poet Keaton Henson. Henson suffers from social anxiety and depression which inspires the contents of his music evoking feelings of despair and distraught. Example's oh song titles include 'Lying to You', 'Not That You'd Even Notice', and 'Judging Books By Their Covers'.

I lastly added the copyright notices at the bottom of the back cover in a small white font, the same as the track listing. I credited the record label, producer and distributor along with the date and copyright logo making it appear as legitimate and professional as possible.

Below is the first draft of my digipak back cover:


No comments:

Post a Comment