Labels

Friday 29 January 2016

CD CONSTRUCTION

As the design of my CD is inspired by Bridget Riley's work I searched on the internet for a simplistic circular spiral pattern. I then saved and opened the image as a Photoshop file then cropped into a circle using the 'Elliptical Marquee Tool'. By pressing 'layer via copy' on the circle I was able to leave behind a square template acting as the plastic CD tray that holds onto the disk. I coloured the space around the cropped circle into the same navy blue colour used on the back cover using the paint bucket tool.


I was originally going to stick with these black and white colours against the navy blue, however I decided to experiment with the different available filters which were previously successful for my front cover. I liked the 'Neon Glow' filter which created an invert effect and made the colours more neon and electric, resembling the music genre. 


I began to add all the standard conventions of a CD including artist name, album name and record label logo all coloured white so that they are obvious and project against the dark surface. I also added copyright credits at the bottom of the CD, which I curved to fit the shape by 'warping' the text. The text includes the date, record label, location of production and serial number. Using the 'Elliptical Marquee Tool' again, I cropped a smaller circle in the centre to make the design appear more realistic and fulfilling the standard look of a disk.


I lastly added the track listing in the same font used on the back cover and poster to continue the typography house style. I used numbers to separate the songs and listed them positioned centrally on the CD so that the listener can refer back to it when playing the music.
Below is the first draft of my CD:


No comments:

Post a Comment