Labels

Thursday 21 January 2016

FRONT COVER CONSTRUCTION

On Photoshop I began to create the front cover of my digipak. I firstly opened the four images I wanted to combine to create the main image of the front cover and cropped them into a standard square size. In order to manipulate and combine the images I inserted all four images into the same Photoshop document and positioned them perfectly layered over one another. Then decreasing the opacity of each of the layers the different photographs of my actress became visible which revealed the four different compositions. The four heads revealed, links with the name of the album 'Altered Visions' as different perspectives of the model are revealed, creating an almost ghostly and mystical effect.


I next started to add the other two main conventions; artist name and album name. Keeping with the theme of different visions created through layering I began to design the the album name in a artistic and quirky way. I used a font taken from www.dafont.co.uk called 'Bebas Neue' which I thought would look bold and outstanding against the complex main image. I decided I disliked the style of font and the design of the album name which I created by layering the two words and decreasing the opacity. 


I inserted my logo and inverted it to make it appear white so that it would stand out against the dark background, automatically informing the viewer and making the name obvious. I also used the 'magic wand tool' to remove the black background space behind the letters so embed the logo on the album more. I realised that I could use the same font as the logo for the name of the album in order to emphasise the electronic, modern theme and the create a sense of fluency.


After adding all the standard conventions to my album cover I then wanted to edit my main image further as I thought it didn't look bright or bold enough. Using the filters available on Photoshop I experimented with the different effects and found that 'Film Grain' was my favourite. This filter made the colours far more vivid in addition to making the image slightly grainy, giving it some interesting texture and reminding me of the low quality photographs taken in the 80's/90's.


Below is the first draft of my album front cover:



No comments:

Post a Comment